Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Poem: Morning Run

Morning Run

It’s dark.
Today, I am the one who rises;
the sun wakes up to find me
waiting for her to begin the day.

It’s early
and slowly I feel the fog lift;
the dew of my morning mind
collected on my forehead
evaporates into the blanket of stillness
in which I am wrapped.

It’s calm.
But these ripples in the air
are caused by my movement
along the still, dry riverbed
running and bending up the mountain
to somewhere I have yet to know.

It’s loud.
My body chants to the drumbeat
set by the pace of each stride
and in my ears, the rhythm of my blood
mixes with the hurricane outside
in the ritual of praised endurance.

I’m thirsty.
I drink the cold and frigid air
fueling fire in my lungs
evicted as a cloud of vapor
and taste the saltwater rain
dripping from my face into my mouth.

I’m free.
Consistency in rhythmic motion is a dance.
Around and down from side to side
when on occasion my twisted form
slips on the forest path, I glide
retaining balance in graceful chaos.

I’m warm.
Painful passion fuels the embers
warding off fatigue, the predator
who lies in shadows of the mind
watching the waning light of will
which struggles, but will not go out.

I’m complete.
Today, my spent strength buys me vitality;
recovering from accumulated debt, I turn
and offer thanks to the source of wealth and view.


—Derek Miller, 9 March 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment